Idaho Online Poker Sites in 2015
Despite Idaho's long history with gambling, today's lawmakers want little to do with legalization of most forms of betting, including online poker. Antiquated laws are not likely to be changed in the near future.
Idaho in the 1800s boasted of casinos in many towns. The law stated that gambling was allowed as long as the locals approved, and establishments were common, even home to a Harrah's Casino in the early 1900s. Towns like Ketchum and others attracted gamblers from all over Idaho, even as far away as Hollywood. But the tide turned in the middle part of the century, as table games like blackjack were made illegal in 1949 and slot machines, along with other forms of gambling, followed in 1953. Pari-mutuel wagering on horse races, however, was legalized 10 years later, and about a quarter century later, the lottery was instituted.
Idaho FAQ and Quick Facts
Does Idaho have land-based gambling?Yes
Are there any specific laws against online poker?No
Is it true that no one has ever been arrested in ID for playing poker onlineyes, that's true!
State Facts:Nickname: The Gem State Gambling Age: 18 State Motto: Let it be perpetual.
Online Poker Sites Accepting Idaho Players
The poker and casino industry within the borders of Idaho is relegated to Indian tribes, though they are only allowed to offer bingo and pull-tab games. Poker games, such as Texas Hold'em, are not legal, and are considered games of chance, not skill. The state's constitution even specifically forbids electronic devices to be used for any form of casino gambling. Altogether, the current status and outlook are not good for poker online in Idaho. Even social games have been prosecuted, though the law was amended so local prosecutors could decide whether or not to pursue the cases.
- Idaho currently does not allow or regulate online poker.
- Poker is considered a game of chance in Idaho.
- Idaho legislators have demonstrated no interest in studying Internet poker.
Online poker came to the attention of Idaho lawmakers in 2011, when the US Department of Justice declared the Wire Act inapplicable to online gambling. The director of Idaho's lottery took that opportunity to if they were to pursue any gambling, it would be land-based, and there were no plans to look into online poker or Internet casino games. That definitive statement mostly sums up the feelings of Idaho legislators regarding the issue of Internet real money gambling.
Even the Indian tribes in Idaho had to fight for their right to offer pull-tab games in addition to bingo, and they have failed to gain permission for table games, slots, or other types of gambling. This puts Internet poker on the back burner, if it is even on the radar of the state at all. It is actually more likely that lawmakers in Idaho would specifically outlaw online poker sites before legalizing it for state-wide regulation.
Other State Pages:
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey
- New Mexico
- New York
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- Rhode Island
- South Carolina
- South Dakota
- West Virginia
- Solid base of players, including from Idaho
- Good range of payment and withdrawal methods
- Jump in to 24/7 freerolls and cash games
- Busy tables with plenty of Idaho players
- Wide range of banking options for safe, easy deposits
- Sportsbook, casino games and more also offered
- US players, including Idaho residents, welcome.
- Top-rated but not particularly well known US site
- Comprehensive tournament schedule and plenty of games
- Players in Idaho, and the rest of the US, welcome.
- Big range of games, and many casino games to boot.
- Boost your bankroll with a bonus worth up to $1200.